Find in Google+ A New Grad's Journey Into the ‘Real World’

Search This Blog

A New Grad's Journey Into the ‘Real World’

Post-graduation life explained by a new grad

This post was reprinted with permission from http://newmanpr.com







As my December college graduation approached, my excitement about what was to come increased, as did my worries of finding employment post-graduation. Reading countless stories on job-hunting nightmares during a recession, not only from recent college graduates but also from seasoned and qualified candidates, was enough to put knots in my stomach.



I spent my last year of college immersed in my course work and tried to gain as much public relations experience from interning as possible, which, lets face it, is not easy. These days most internships consist of doing all the tedious work no one else wants or has the time to do. During my numerous newspaper and coffee runs, I couldn’t help but wonder how prepared I was to go out into the “real world” and compete with overqualified candidates for a position. Sure, I completed three internships during my college years, but does juggling six Starbucks drinks back to the office qualify as a resume-worthy skill?



I did all I could to stand out from the intern pack. I volunteered for every task presented, stayed late to help finish reports and made it a habit to ask my supervisors if they needed help with anything if it was a slow day at the office. Throughout all three internships I made many contacts but quickly realized it was all up to me to secure a post-graduation job.



A couple of months before graduation I began to scroll through job posts on various sites almost daily. I did not want to miss a single opportunity to send out my resume. Public relations in Miami is a rather small community, so genuine and serious job posts were scarce.



Early November, I came across a job post for a bilingual account coordinator position at Newman PR. It sounded like the perfect position for a recent college graduate so I immediately knew competition for it would be big. I stayed up that night to write a cover letter and sent it out with my resume. My hopes diminished after a couple weeks passed and I had not heard back.



 | 1 | 2 | Next Page
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...